Our wedding was a celebration filled with hand-made and locally sourced details. Here are some of my favorites:
- My sister, who is a comic book artist, drew silhouettes of Dan and I, which we used on the menus I designed and had printed
- I spent 100 hours making crepe paper gardenias as escort cards by hand (the guests wore them around all evening!)
- Dan’s mom is a thrift shopping queen and sourced the 10 authentic Vermont maple syrup buckets I filled with live ferns for the aisle decorations. She also found all of the vases (glass footed bowls) and votive candle holders (glass tumblers) from thrift stores up and down the east coast that we used on all of the tables.
- Daniel, who is an Eagle Scout, wore a vintage Boy Scout pin that said “Be Prepared” that I bought on eBay for him a year before the wedding and kept so secret I accidentally hid it from myself and couldn’t find it for a few months!
- My mom sewed all of bench cushions for the ceremony.
- My dress was Jim Hjelm by Hailey Paige. I have seen hundreds of brides walk down the aisle and I really wanted something unique but timeless, but the bridal salon attendants didn't really believe me. They kept bringing me the same dress I'd seen on all those girls until I finally started wandering around by myself and started pulling crazy things off the shelves, and then they caught on. We narrowed it down to an ombre pink fit and flare by Modern Trousseau or the long sleeved, shear gown I chose. I put it on and felt a little fluffy in it, but it was a magical unicorn kind of fluffy. Plus, cleavage.
- His outfit was pretty epic too. Dan wore Christian Louboutin loafers and a feather bow-tie from Brackish. He was super chic.
- We had a locally sourced beer bar by Beer'd for our guests during the cocktail reception as they played lawn games and were entertained with a duo of celtic fiddlers. Dan is a big beer buff so there were hops in the boutonnieres and in Daniel’s sisters’ bridesmaid’s bouquets.
- I was allowed to do all the flowers by a much protesting family on the condition that I had help, so I hired Maggie Bascom from Slainte Event Planning and Design whom I actually worked with at Jordan Caterers when we were both in high school and through college. She was a great help and someone I trusted completely to tell me to stay out of the kitchen! And get my hands off the peonies. Despite that, I made my bridal bouquet the morning of the wedding as my bridesmaids got their hair and makeup done. There’s a photo of me spraying my bouquet with leaf-shine while in my wedding dress! I was up till 2 in the morning the night of the wedding making corsages and buttonholes.
VENDORS: Photography: Cole + Kiera Photography / Videography: Mario Paniagua / Catering: A Thyme to Cook / Floral & Event Design: First Blush Event and Floral Design / Day-of Coordination: Slainte Event Planning / Wedding Dress: Jim Hjelm by Hailey Paige / Groom's Tux: Bonobos / Hair & Makeup: Beauty Entourage / Papergoods (menu, programs, placecards): First Blush Event and Floral Design / Invitations: Minted.com / Donuts: Dixie Donuts / Wedding Cake: Sugar Bakery / Wedding Venue: Eolia - The Mansion at Harkness Memorial State Park